Thursday, October 24, 2013

Student Profile: Rachel Mims


Who?   Rachel Mims, 32
Hometown?  I grew up in Arlington, TX.  I have, however, lived all over the world!  After two years of undergraduate study I enlisted in the U.S. Army.  I spent 10 years in the Army and lived in Germany, South Korea, Texas, Oklahoma, and North Carolina. 
How long have you been in the program?   I started the program in August 2012!
How did you hear about Art Therapy?   I first heard about art therapy when completing an assignment in my abnormal psychology class.  As part of the assignment we had to go look at a website that listed different occupations.  I searched for “art” and looked at every job title that contained it and found art therapy!  After very little investigation I knew that art therapy was what I was meant to do!  I continued researching it and my initial feeling was confirmed!!
What qualities do you think make a good therapist?  A good therapist is someone that actually cares about helping others. The desire and passion for improving the lives of others is what motivates someone to stay current in the field and to find the best possible treatments for their clients. 
What inspires you?   What inspires me are those moments when you can clearly see the art therapy working.  I am doing my internship at Gadsden Correctional Facility this semester.  A prison is without a doubt a great place to see the impact that therapy can have.  I am inspired on a daily basis. 
Why did you choose FSU for your program of study?  I initially looked at FSU because my significant other was from Florida.  Years later, after that relationship was long over, I still could not get FSU out of my mind!  The program looked great and the school was affordable!  As a veteran I knew that I would need a school that I could afford using only my GI Bill; FSU certainly fit that bill.  Once I visited the campus I knew FSU was where I was supposed to be – I could feel it!  I am without a doubt grateful that I had the wisdom to listen to my intuition. 
What is it that you desire to do with your degree in art therapy?  My hope is to work for the Department of Veterans Affairs as an art therapist.  I want to provide art therapy to veterans.  I also hope to conduct research so that I can demonstrate how powerful art therapy is as a treatment for veterans.
What types of things have you done with FSU Art Therapy Association?  I am the current President of the FSU Art Therapy Association.  I have participated in past community service events providing art therapy at Big Bend Homeless Shelter, the Homeless Veteran Standdown, and local events aimed at raising community awareness about mental health.  I also worked on the 7 Days of Opening Nights mural and have volunteered a few times at First Friday. 
Are you involved in other areas of campus life?  I sure am!  I am the Creative Arts Consultant and Community Service Representative for the FSU Collegiate Veterans Association, I am a group fitness instructor at the campus recreation center, and I was just selected to become a member of Garnet & Gold Key!
Any Advice for future art therapy students?  Graduate school is not easy, but it is entirely worth it.  You get to learn fascinating things and you have the opportunity to begin helping people in your community.  You can still participate in on-campus activities and you can certainly make life-long friends with the other students in your class. 



No comments:

Post a Comment